Wednesday, March 31, 2010

5K

Hello, faithful readers. I am still fat and diabetic.

A month ago, a friend of mine at work suggested I run in a 5K this August, so I took him up on the challenge. I've been running* 3 days a week for 30m for the last month. Not quite couch to 5K, but in the same ballpark. Yes, I have special running shoes.

Today was the first day I've done this that I was able to get up to 5mph 3 different times during the 30m; Ended up going 1.6 miles in 31 minutes; I actually feel GOOD after the workout today, a welcome change. ^_^

I have a regularly scheduled doc visit in a week or so, and will bounce the sanity of this idea off her.

Now that I've been doing this for a month and made a (annoying, sweaty, and painful) habit out of it, next up is fixing my diet. I never transitioned properly off the medifast - so I did a great job losing the weight, but not keeping it off. My plan this time is to use the MF for snacks & backup, but to stay with real food as much as possible.

* Another runner friend of my says "Why not just walk". Trust me, that's basically what I'm doing at these speeds. =-)

2 comments:

Susie H said...

Like seeing you post - rock on with the 5K plan! I am walking 2 days a week at the track with some friends. 2 miles at a pop...better than not walking at all, for sure.

Joining David in joining you on the 100 pushups and 200 situps thing. OK, I am only on day 2 but I like the achievability of it all. thanks for the tip!

Brian Borchers said...

If you keep going for half an hour at time three days per week, you will see steady progress. Watch out for injuries (plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, etc.), but as long as you're just tired and sweaty, you're doing it right.