Friday, May 9, 2008

Day 4

Oh, right, the wife!

I neglected to mention, Coke-focused blogger that I am, that my wife Rachael (a.k.a. Raye) is also on the program with me.; She's been doing well on Atkin's, but switched to this program too. It's not an easy switch to make, and I really appreciate it. I think long term, it's going to be very beneficial for us both to be following the same program. Thanks, Raye!

Raye fired up the grill last night, and I stopped on the way home at the fish market and got some tuna steaks for us both. Best. Food. Ever. I suspect I'll be saying that about every non-powder meal I eat for the next year. =-)

Diabetical

I mentioned in Day 1 that I'm on the diabetic version of Medifast. This basically means that some of the powders (and all of the bars) I get through the program are slightly different; otherwise, it's the same program. Just fewer calories, and different nutritional additives specifically for diabetics…

…And it's working. While I have another small-but-measurable weight loss today, my fasting blood sugar this morning was 98 (mg/dl), which corresponds to an A1C of 5.5; I think my last official A1C was about nine; probably the highest it's been since I was diagnosed five and half years ago.

Here's my fasting readings this week by day:
  1. 189
  2. 149
  3. 129
  4. 98
And at least so far, the readings were solid all day. Now, I'm on four different medications for my blood sugar, but the reduced calorie intake (in pretty much a complete absence of real exercise) has had an amazing impact.

I am now going to go call my doc and see what we're going to do next: I need to have a plan if this is going to drop another 20-30 points tomorrow. I am very hopeful that I'll be able to eliminate some medication due to the program. Improving my glucose control was one of the main reasons for me to start this program, and to have this feedback in the first week of the program is very helpful.

Finally, I'm also taking my "lean and green" (Medifast-speak for the one real meal you get a day) meal at a restaurant today. I have it planned out what I'm going to get, and I should be able to fit this in to the program.

No comments: